Sunday, September 9, 2012

LSNED: Many Happy Returns of the Day

Today is my 35th birthday!  For as much as birthdays signify the passage of time moving forward, I find that most of the time I spend my "very special day" looking backward and today was no different.  After getting up, I turned on my TV and there was The Sound of Music.  Immediately, I was jolted back to being a little kid in my parents room watching Maria and the rest of the VonTrapp family.  I could remember singing along to the movie and knowing most of the scenes by heart. I so wanted to travel to Austria and climb every mountain and sing the Sound of Music at the top of my lungs.  (Only years later, on another birthday, would I learn that I am deathly afraid of heights - so mountain top singing is out).  Not much has changed since then.  I propped up the pillows and spent the morning in my PJs singing right along and still wishing that I was one of the VonTrapps (specifically, Liesel).

Over the past few days, I've been looking at pictures of myself over the years and thinking about who I was at 5, 15, 25, and now 35.  Sometimes its feels like I've changed so much from living at home, going to college, starting my first real job, moving out and going to law school, buying my first home and traveling abroad on my own.  Other times, however, it seems like life has been fairly consistent over the years. I still love pasta and chocolate, I cut the ends off my bread when making a sandwich, I sing in car whenever I'm driving, I hate whipped cream and Coca-Cola is my favorite beverage in the world.

I was trying to think of a profund lesson or tidbit that I should take away for the day, but I couldn't.  The one thought that kept coming to me was that 35 doesn't feel all that different from 34.  So here's what I look like at 35. I'm definitely looking forward to this next year, but am also excited to look back a year from now to see whether the girl below is still the same or slightly different.



3 comments: