Sunday, September 2, 2012

LSNED - Day 2

Today's prompt challenged me to begin thinking about individuals who have been great teachers in my life.  My first thoughts went immediately to my parents, as they were and still are the greatest influence in my life. However, I wanted to expand my thoughts here and I then began thinking back to my high school guidance counselor, Sandy Cirello.  When I was in 11th grade, my family moved back to the East Coast after a short stint living in Texas.  Starting a new school is hard enough at any age, but starting the two years of High School was a group of students who have largely been together since Elementary School is quite daunting.  Enter Ms. Cirello.  She was that person who helped me acclimate to my new school, but more importantly, gave me a permanent place to hang out for the last period of the day my Senior Year.  During those days, we would talk about going to college, boys and although I didn't fully realize it at the time, the beginning phases of transitioning into adulthood.  Ms. Cirello's office was a place where I could express myself without any concern about what others would think.  I look back on those days fondly and always with a smile.

I remember that we once takes about taking risks in life and how important it is to stretch yourself and feel those inklings of tension when stepping out of your comfort zone.  In my work profession, I often observe that lawyers are usually made up of people who have always stayed within the lines and rarely broke the rules; I count myself in this description.  Accordingly, I often have to remind myself that its okay to take risks and that baby steps are okay.  So, today I was working on the first page of my album when I realized that it was going to be a bit difficult for me to create a page and work around the binding in the album.  I then remembered once seeing a Daybook mini album on the Studio Calico blog  where the blogger began by taking the Daybook apart; so I decided that I was going to do the same thing.  I knew that separate pages would make it easier for me to work with the pages that were included and to add an additional six pages since there were not enough for 30 days worth of journaling.  Taking a deep breath, I grabbed my scissors and began cutting away at the threads in the book and kept pushing forward even though I had the thought in the back of mind that this was going to be a BIG mistake (seriously, they sell the book in one piece for a reason!).  After cutting the book apart and then cutting the pages in half, I had a feeling that it was going to be alright and that the risk (albeit small) was worth it in the end.  The lesson for the day: Risk is often the prerequisite to reward.

I took the picture below of my new album, including the cut up pages, along with some supplies for a bit of color for my new page.  I'll post the completed page when its finished.



1 comment:

  1. Love that you were able to change the daybook to suit this project! Congrats on taking the risk!

    ReplyDelete