Saturday, September 1, 2012

Learn Something New Everyday 2012

A couple of weeks ago, I signed up for Shimelle Laine's Learn Something New Everyday ("LSNED) class. If you are not familiar with Shimelle, she's a pretty popular paper crafter who teaches over at Two Peas in a Bucket and is on the design teams of a host of recognizable scrapbooking companies. Each September she teaches LSNED and the focus of the class is to take time each day to reflect on lessons learned and journal and/or scrap your observations.

Each day we receive a prompt to help guide our thoughts on the lesson(s) learned for the day.  Today's prompt asked us to complete this sentence "The last big adventure of my life would probably be ...."  My immediate thought to this question was my recent trip to Rome, my last post included pictures from the mini album I created.  After thinking about the question some more, I realized that some of the everyday things I do are just as much of an adventure as the big trips I take.  Although the scope may be smaller, the impact can be just as great.  Yesterday evening, I came home from work and began cleaning out my craft space.  I have a ton of paper and product that have not been touched and/or used in months, weeks or years (I know I'm not the only one out there).  So I commenced by cleaning mission and ended up with a small moving box worth of papers and product that I'll be donating to a local school district.  The purge, however, was just the beginning of my new organizational project.  This morning, I made a list of errands and organizational products and hit the Container Store and IKEA.  I was back home by 11:00 a.m. and began cleaning out some closets, but more importantly, bringing some structure to my office.  By 5:00 p.m., I had reorganized my shelving units, moved some furniture around and cleaned up by desk.  I finally sat down, began to feel the aches of a day of work, but was so happy with how the space felt and how I felt in it.  Here's a picture of the finished product (at least the craft side of my room).  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a before but know that the whole furniture arrangement aside from the bookshelf on the left was different this morning and the small lamps on my desk were not there at all.


My plan tomorrow is to tackle the other side of the room, where my other desk and bookshelves are located.  I'm ordering shelving tomorrow and hope to have it installed by the end of the week; I'll do my best to remember to do a post with before and after shots.

So you may be thinking, what lesson did I learn today?  The first that came to mine was how creating a list made me very productive from the outset of the day.  Creating a list keeps me very focused on completing my errands rather than trying to remember the endless number of items that are always running through my head at some point.  Anywho, here is a picture of the cover of my LSNED album. I'm using an Amy Tangerine mini Daybook.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.
    Lists can be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your craft space looks so light, airy and well-organised. I don't know about you, but I feel better working somewhere that's more tidy than messy, and I think I could be VERY creative in your space, LOL!
    Enjoy class - the first prompt has produced some great blog posts already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your book Sheandra! I started a big clearout in our dining room aka my creative space last weekend. I'm halfway through - going back in next weekend to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your studio is inspiring and so neat; lots of happy crafting hours in store. And your LSNED 2012 album is fun. I'll be back to check out your learnings.
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm starting to wish I had decided to do LSNED in a Daybook this year too! Mmm..still time to change..

    I really enjoyed reading about your organisation. Sounds like it's going really well

    ReplyDelete